Sunday, October 9, 2011

Interview with author Mike Cooley

Mike is a computer geek working at the headquarters of a large national retailer. He was born in Washington State, went to college in New Mexico, and is now living with one wife and one son in Minnesota. As well as writing fiction, Mike is musician and mountain biker.

Mike’s epic fantasy novel The Crystal Warrior is the story of Larissya, who discovers that her life and destiny is tied to an ancient legend involving six magical crystals. With help from her friends she has to try to save her World from the evil ones known as The Triad. Full of swords, magic, and incredible creatures, The Crystal Warrior is an action-packed page-turner about good and evil, darkness and light, hope and salvation.

1. Tell us 3 fun facts about yourself?
I’m left-handed (despite public schooling), play guitar, and some people call me ‘Z’.

2. How long have you been a writer or known that was something you wanted to do?
In a way I’ve always been writing: short stories, poetry, lyrics, and so on. I only recently finished my first novel. I got hooked on writing in school since I was a voracious reader and didn’t want to take speech class, so I took creative writing instead.

3. Tell me about your current project?
Which one? (I’m terrible at single-tasking). I am currently working on the sequel to The Crystal Warrior. It’s called Crystal Origin, and goes off in exciting new directions. I’m also working on Before The Revolution – 13 Days In Egypt, which is about a trip I took to Egypt in 2010 (non-fiction).
I’m also working on Fade Away, which is a Lovecraftian Horror story.

4. Where do you receive your inspiration or ideas for your books?
Thin air. I never have a shortage of ideas. Just time to write them down.

5. Why did you choose to self-publish? Or go with the publisher you are with?
I wrote a short piece explaining all that. It’s called Traditional Publishing Is My Bitch. It’s free. Here’s the link: http://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Publishing-inflammatory-remarks-ebook/dp/B005HFQ2JG/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

6. How often do you write?
I try to write every day, but I rarely do (except for blog posting and social media). Because of my work schedule it’s more like three times a week for an hour or two each time.

7. Tell us about some of your future projects?
I covered most of them above. I am always interrupting myself and starting more projects. It’s all I can do to limit my projects to two or three at a time.

8. What are some of your favorite books?
I have so many favorite books! To mention just a few: Lord of Light by Zelazny, Meet Me At Infinity by James Tiptree Jr., Dangerous Visions edited by Harlan Ellison (short story anthology), The Man In The High Castle by Phillip K. Dick.

9. If you could co-write a book with another author, who would it be?
James Tiptree Jr. Love her. But she’s dead. She can be my ghost writer.

10. Do you have any advice for others who dream of being an author?
I’m full of it! Here’s a blog post I did about it. It’s called Judgement Is The Mind Killer:
http://mikecooleyfiction.dyndns.org/?p=67

Mike's blog: http://mikecooleyfiction.com

To purchase Mike's book: http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Warrior-Legend-Crystals-ebook/dp/B004RPZRMK/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_4

No comments: