I have to vent for a minute. People who know me well know that I am not a super outgoing or talkative person. I don't talk just for the sake of talking. I don't feel awkward sitting in silence with someone. I often prefer to observe what's going on around me. And I won't speak unless I have something to say. Most people understand that this is just my personality, but a few people take my silence offensively. My whole life I have had to deal with the following stupid question: "Why do you hate me"? Apparently, my lack of talking has led several people to believe I don't like them. Growing up, some people thought I was snobby because I didn't constantly talk to them. Well I am here to say that I can't think of a single person on this planet that I hate and the only people I really don't care for are people I used to work with. But I'm not working anymore so there is not a single individual I associate with that I don't like. Honestly. So please, please, please, please, PLEASE stop worrying so much about whether or not I like you. Just because I don't have the same personality as you and just because I don't talk as often as you'd like me to does not mean I don't like you. My silence also doesn't mean there is something wrong. So please stop worrying! And please stop asking what's wrong or why I don't like you! If you don't like the quiet, you are going to have to initiate the conversation and you are going to have to ask me questions to get me talking. That's just the way I am. Sorry
1 month ago


6 comments:
I can so relate! Whenever I get quiet, my family starts with the "What's wrong?" "Are you ok?" "You just don't seem like yourself?"
Then I turn and say "Shut up!"
Except that I don't. I want to. But I don't.
Really, though. It sucks. Sometimes I just want to sit there and listen. What's the matter with that?
Good post. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has to roll my eyes when I try to listen instead of talk.
Two ears, one mouth people. think about that!
*End of soap box rant.
Thanks for this entry! *loves*
I didn't realize this was a problem for quiet people. I'm chatty, but I'm not really bothered around quiet people. Maybe it's because I had Lissa for a sister and I now have Sam for a husband, but silence doesn't bother me. Interesting.
Oh, and THANK YOU for reminding me about The Pacifier!! I knew I wasn't crazy and Bethesda really was in more than one movie! :)
I'm glad you posted something today. I was beginning to worry about the silence. But then I read how you feel about co-workers... Now I am just all kinds of confused :-S
It's called a "Hand Back" converstaion style. We'd much prefer to sit an observe. We don't need to talk just to be heard and we are often misunderstood to be snobbish. I'm totally the same. It only took a few years of marriage to convince my husband that I wasn't mad at him. I just didn't have anything to say. It pretty much rocks!
Don't apologize for who you are! The things that make you who you are is what makes us like you! No apologies needed friend!
Gosh Stacy, Im worried about you. You never talk/rant this much!! is motherhood too much?!
Post a Comment