
It's official. We are now a binky-free house! A couple weeks ago Kalianna got a visit from the Binky Fairy. We got the idea from a friend of mine, and we really liked it. First I spent the day scouring the house for spare binkies. I threw away all of Magdalyn's while Kalianna was napping. Maggie doesn't take them, so I wanted them out of the house. I knew Kalianna had five. I found four of them. I searched and searched and couldn't find the last one. So I figured we had left it at my parents and would dispose of it later. We spent all day talking about the Binky Fairy and how she would leave Kali a present for her binkies.
Finally after dinner, the moment had arrived. We got a pink gift bag out and put it on Kalianna's bed. She said good bye to each of her binkies with one final suck, then spit them into the bag and said bye-bye. Then I took the girls out to run errands and when we got home, there was a cute stuffed elephant in place of her binkies. Kali was ecstatic! She loves elephants! She hugged him and played with him all evening. Then came the dreaded bedtime. She asked for her binkies and when I reminded her that the binkies went bye-bye and now she had elephant instead, she cried. A lot. Poor thing! But she did hug her elephant and went to bed snuggling him. She woke up a couple times that first night, unable to get herself back to sleep without the binky. So I went in and sang to her and she fell asleep again.
She did so great the next couple days! She rarely asked for them and when I reminded her of the binky fairy, she would hug her elephant and be happy again. Then we walked to a neighborhood dinner. That last little binky had been hiding under the stroller and, of course, Kalianna was the first to see it. She was thrilled! Darn that last binky! So...the Binky Fairy came again that night. This time bringing Kalianna a stuffed cat and some M&Ms. She was thrilled all over again! This time she realized the binky was leaving for good. So there were a lot less tears. Now she had an elephant, a cat, and chocolate!
There are still some days I wish she had her binky. Especially at nap and night times. But I really am glad it's gone! No more trying to find it and no more hassle. She hasn't asked for it in awhile now. She still has some restless nights, but most of the time she is just moving and making noise in her sleep. So not having it doesn't keep her up, it keeps me up. But she has been doing better and better. My little girl is growing up!


2 comments:
What a cute idea! I'll have to remember that for Eden, since she takes a binki and I never had to worry about it with Alli. :) She is growing up! :)
Yaee! Way to go Kali!
Post a Comment