Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Primary Program

I don't know if any of you are involved in your ward's primary, but Matt and I teach the 11-year-olds. Well, for the past month we have been practicing for our primary program in sacrament meeting. (Which is next Sunday--thank goodness!) Let me tell you, it is so entertaining to watch 50 kids try and hold still for two straight hours of practice! There are those that crawl around on their hands and knees, trying to sneak under the chairs; several who make faces at each other while hiding behind the kids in front of them; a couple who had a contest to see who could bang their chairs the loudest when sitting down, by sitting on the top of the chair and then slamming it down to lie flat; and I had to ask one kid who was standing behind me to stop spinning in circles while we were singing. But all in all I've been pretty impressed with them. I mean, I can barely sit still for two hours myself! We are asking an awful lot of these kids! Matt and I have been super impressed with our class. We have the biggest class in the primary and they are the best behaved. We even beat out the 11 turning 12-year-olds but I guess that isn't saying much when the Sunbeams are more reverant than they are.

The theme this year is "If the Savior Stood Beside Me". I don't know how many of you have heard this new primary song, but oh man! I tear up every single time our primary kids sing it. I encourage you all to listen closely to the lyrics when its time for your primary program. I think it is one of the most beautiful primary songs ever. And when a group of children's voices start singing it....send in the waterworks! I know I'm not alone in this, my mom has said that song makes her cry too. But seriously, its a gorgeous song so check it out!

3 comments:

scrapsidaisy said...

That song is one of my favorites. I heard the primary kids practicing it last sunday and it made me teary. Our primary program is this sunday too. I think it is my favorite sacrament meeting of the whole year.

Miranda said...

I love that song! I was so excited when I found out it was the theme song for this year. I know all about the craziness of those darn primary kids.. but I guess you're right I'm supposed to be an adult and I can't seem to sit still either!

Lolly said...

Hi Stacy! I love your blog! Oh, and I LOVE that song too..when I taught in primary it always made me cry a little bit when the kids sang it!