Friday, November 7, 2008

Tell me I don't want a kitten

Cats have never appealed to me before. I've never minded them, but being allergic has always kept me at a distance. Then I got married and we moved into Matt's parent's basement. They have two cats. Suddenly, I'm not allergic anymore! At least not to the extent I was before. Its totally true what they say, if you spend enough time with something you are allergic to, you can build up the immunities you need to handle being around it!

Now Matt loves cats. He's always grown up with them and I've promised him we can have a cat someday. But suddenly, everywhere we go I see adorable kittens and he is the one who has to be the grownup and tell me "not now". Tell me I don't want a kitten!

I don't know if its my nurturing instincts kicking in and I just want another tiny animal to care for, but I seriously want a kitten! Matt tells me to think logically. Wait till we have a house with a garage, for the litter box. Wait till you are home all day and can watch the kitten and care for it. Wait until you aren't pregnant, so you don't have to worry about the germs and cleaning up after it. Tell me I don't want a kitten!

If we got a kitten, my family would never come over again! Most of my siblings are allergic to cats and would have problems being in our house if we got a kitty. Tell me I don't want a kitten!

I need some help, because my will power is almost gone! I have come very close to calling a few people with ads on KSL for adorable little kittens. Every time we drive by the Humane Society sign I pick out which cats I think are the cutest. And every time we go to the pet store to get dog food, I stroll by the kitties for sale and ache to take one home. Tell me I don't want a kitten!

8 comments:

janae said...

I don't like cats much, but I think kittens sure are cute!! You can have a cat, but you need to know that pregnant women are not supposed to touch cat litter. Check these links out. The first article makes it sound scary, but I doubt it's all that big of a deal. But nice to be aware of!

http://www.housekeepingchannel.com/a_575-Pregnant_Women_Beware_the_Litter_Box__and_the_Garden

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/pregnancy/illness/180.html

janae said...

ps. the first link ends with the word "Garden" but the last bit got cut off. Just FYI. :)

Ashlee said...

I was just going to bring up the same point of pregnancy and kitty litter! I think it's a lot to do with nurturing instinct. Wait til you have the baby, maybe a full year (believe me, it FLIES by!) and then see how bad you want one. Plus how will your 2 children accept a kitten? They don't stay kitties forever!

Matt said...

Trust me, I know about the kitty litter thing and pregnant women. I think its impossible to be pregnant and not know about it! Which is one of the reasons I mentioned in my post for not being able to get a kitten right now. Matt always reminds me of not being able to get one while I'm pregnant because I can't clean up after it. As for my babies, they lived with us for two years in my in-laws basement, so they have been around and are used to cats. We've actually discussed getting a cat as a companion for Kutse because we think they would have an awesome time together!

scrapsidaisy said...

YOU DON'T WANT A KITTEN.
There, did it work?

Kimmy said...

If you want... I could give you my honest opinion... But I don't know if you want to hear it...

:)

Aubrey said...

Matt is right. Pregnancy hormones will talk you into doing the craziest things; like sniffing laundry soap, eating weird foods, and wanting a kitten. Listen to your logical husband for just a few more months, then when the hormones go away you'll be able to make a more informed decision...
You're so funny!

ncarroll said...

Mom-in-law says that yes kittens are cute and so are cats if you can find a cuddly one. Litter is a problem if you have never been around cats and their litter (like you). It is a remote possibility of getting toxoplasmosis but why even chance it.Once you have this baby you can decide if you really want a kitty. And if you do I would love to go looking with you.