Monday, July 13, 2009

Snakes and turtles and kittens, Oh my!

My sister found a snake in their yard this last weekend. You can read about her story here. I was at my parents house when my mom got the text from her saying they'd found a snake in their yard and it brought up memories from when we had a pet snake. We started talking about good ol' Sussy and the stories we could remember about him. Even though I think mice are cute, it was pretty cool to watch the boa hunt and catch his prey every time we fed him. We eventually had to sell him because he got too big. This event and these memories got me thinking. Is there a type of animal you would never let your kids get as a pet? For us it was rodents. My mom was fine with rabbits but she said no to having rats or mice as pets. For me, tarantulas and scorpions really freak me out! I'm fine with all manner of reptiles and amphibians and I'd even allow a cat, even though I'm allergic. But my kids would have to swear upon pain of death that the huge spider would never leave their room before I'd agree to letting them have one. So what is it for you? What kind of pet would you have a hard time with or never ever allow in your home?

4 comments:

Aubrey said...

Spiders, snakes, and mice/rats. Eew...I just shudder thinking about it! I'm a dog and cat kind of girl...

Sara said...

This is a cool question! I have a thing for anything furry...guinea pigs, hamsters, cats, dogs, even bunnies...but if it doesn't have fur or feathers it doesn't get to live in my house! Ew!

Melanie said...

Dogs are about the only pet I would allow. I don't like fish, hamsters, guinea pigs because they stink. Birds are too messy, feathers and bird seed get everywhere. Spiders, snakes, etc. freak me out. I'm allergic to cats, so dogs are it for me.

Jenny Sue said...

no to spiders and snakes. I like our little garden snake in our back yard because it eats the nastier things..but no way in our house. I had a rat and he was way sweeter to me than any cat I've had. And I really LOVE cats. But the cage was nasty. I think my bird was the most annoying thing on the planet! No birds. Unless we have a huge house and it's far from my room at night. Or unless it delivers mail. =>