You know how sometimes you just need to clear your mind? Well I've had a lot of thoughts/discussions lately that I just need to write out.
We know tons of couples, still pretty newly married, who seem to have one of those money trees growing in their backyard. If you're one of these couples, I'll rake leaves for you! We are just baffled by these young couples who seem to travel ALL THE TIME! How do they do it? They go to Paris, and London, and New York, and California, and Vegas, and Hawaii, and everywhere in between! Now Matt and I are great at saving. 10% from every paycheck for the last four years of marriage, plus we live on a tight budget. And yet, every time we reach a certain amount, its bye bye money. Trips to the emergency room, surgery, cars breaking...we can't go a few months without some major catastrophe that completely wipes out our savings. That's what its there for. We save up for just such events, but once in awhile I wish we could save money and have it stay put for other things we need/want! How do these other couples afford to travel so much?? It seems like they always have new clothes, they have two cars, they bought a house, and then they vacation 6 months out of the year. And yet, they are both still in school. The only thing I can think of is mommy and daddy are still helping them, or they must be pulling bank jobs on the weekends! Hmmmm...maybe its time Matt and I splurge and buy a couple ski masks.
So there is a family in our ward (6 kids) who recently went through a tragedy. The day after they dropped their oldest son off at the MTC, his mother moved in with her boyfriend (who no one knew existed). Two months later, the divorce was final and she re-married in the same day. Now I know, as sad as it is, that stories like this happen all the time. But I was her visiting teacher for awhile. We were good friends. She helped me a lot through my pregnancy. And I am just so baffled! I can't get over it! I understand marriages have problems and all too often one or both split. But leaving behind six kids?? I just don't understand how anyone could leave behind six kids! Her youngest just got baptized and she has two tween daughters. They are at an age where they need their mom the most, and she just left! It kills me every week when I see dad and the kids at church. I guess its affecting me so hard cause I knew her. I'd seen her with her kids, and she was a fantastic mom. Its just so sad.
What is wrong with single men in our church? Its like they are getting lazier and lazier about dating! I have several friends who are still single who are amazing girls! But they never get asked out! Why? Because guys don't date anymore. They either wait for the girls to make the first move, or they just "hang out" every weekend. Its like they are waiting for a "Touched by an Angel" light to come down and shine on their future wife. Well I've got news for you. Heaven is not going to intervene! Get off your lazy butt and ask some girls out! I've even got some great suggestions! Just don't only ask out the ones who could pass for a super model. Physical attraction is only half of it. You have to be mentally attracted to someone as well. Otherwise its called lust. And thats bad.
Matt and I really love our ward! Its nice coming from a ward where very few people even knew my name to the wonderful one we are in now! Kalianna has about 50 grandmas who love her and dote on her on Sundays and at activities. And she has tons of little girls who love to hold and play with her. We've even considered staying in Layton because we love our ward so much. I had a great ward growing up, but its nice to have found another one where we feel just as loved and welcome. We've been discussing where we want to live when Matt graduates, and Layton has definitely made our list. Its funny that we moved here out of necessity, knowing very little about this city, and now we love it so much we might buy our next house here too.
1 week ago


3 comments:
Trevor and I have always been so frustrated by the money thing too. I don't know if that ever changes, but we always wonder how other people do it!! It is very frustrating when you do everything you can to pay your tithing, pay your bills, put money in savings and people around you are buying new things all the time and going off on trips all the time. Sigh...
It's called DEBT! We went thru this phase when we first got married... Well not the traveling but the toys and cars! We've been paying on them for the last 3 years and we will be paying for it for the next 5 years! Enjoy the savings!
I have to say I love Layton. It's high on my list :) I may be prejudiced, having grown up there...Plus the whole money thing, you should Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. Those people (I know several) are gonna be in debt for the rest of their lives! We're not, because we're also strict with out money, even though we're spending it on water heaters, broken washers, car repairs, and everything else!
Post a Comment