Sunday, December 20, 2009

Serious Misunderstandings

Last year I wrote a somewhat controversial post about Santa Claus. Well, lately I have had some comments made to me regarding Santa that has made me realize one thing...my post was SERIOUSLY misunderstood!! Matt and I NEVER said we want to cut Santa Claus completely out of our Christmas. We NEVER said that we don't like Santa Claus. And we NEVER said we weren't going to do Santa Claus with our kids. I was simply saying that Matt and I haven't decided how we are going to do Santa Claus yet. Talk to your friends and family. Everyone has their own way of doing Santa Claus. Just because Matt and I haven't decided if we are going to try and convince our kids he is real or if we are going to do Santa more like a game in our family, doesn't mean we are going to cut him out of Christmas all together! I actually LOVE Santa Claus stories and Santa decorations! And I think the spirit and magic of Santa (I mean, he spends all year making toys for all the kids in the world! And he gives them to all kids, selflessly. What better message can we give our children?) should not be taken out of Christmas. Santa Claus also inspires imagination and...Hello! I am a writer! Of course I want my kids to have a good and lively imagination!! My beef with these Santa impostors in the mall and at parties is 1. I don't think anyone should be forced to sit on a fat man's lap if they don't feel comfortable doing so and 2. I like leaving things to the imagination! I enjoy thinking of Santa at his workshop in the north pole, but I don't like my image of Santa being determined for me by department store actors. But as I said before, just because I am not comfortable with these fake Santa's doesn't mean I am going to keep my children from him. The day Kalianna asks to sit on Santa's lap and have her picture with him, I will happily drive her to the nearest one and smile as she tells him what she wants for Christmas. But I do think it is extremely mean for parents to take babies and tiny kids to see Santa and watch as they scream bloody murder just so the parents can get a picture. Little kids don't understand who he is yet. So its like sticking your kid on his lap and saying "Here is a large, hairy, scary man you've never met before. Now sit on his lap and smile." Just mean. BUT when your kids get older and know who Santa Claus is and are excited to see him in the mall, by all means, have their picture taken with him! As long as they want to and aren't terrified. I have seen some super cute pictures of happy kids enjoying the magic of Santa Claus. Everyone is entitled to raise their children the way they feel is right. And everyone is entitled to their own opinions. These are just mine.

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Did you see our nephew's picture this year? Josh is dressed up as Santa:)

Aubrey said...

Wow. I must be really "mean then." I took Macie to see Santa this year and she did scream. And I did laugh a little...and now she's fine. Life goes on, and I don't consider myself "mean" for doing it. :)

slybbert said...

We have gotten some negative feedback from our method. Santa is bringing the stocking stuffers. We think Santa is great, but we want our kids to understand that if mom and dad don't have money, they can't expect a big gift from Santa instead. Tons of people have been giving us grief that we are taking away something great from our kids, but I think we are still giving Santa enough credit, and still teaching our kids to be grateful, too.