1 month ago
Thursday, June 11, 2009
Baby Piercings
How do you feel about babies who have their ears pierced? Would you ever pierce your baby girl's ears? I'm just curious because a few people have asked me if I plan on piercing Kalianna's ears. I think piercing a baby's ears if kind of mean. You cant say "This will only hurt for a minute" or "we're doing this to make you pretty". A baby is not going to understand. I also think a girl should be able to choose if she wants her ears pierced or not. And I don't think a child needs their ears pierced until they are old enough to care for it themselves. Matt and I have settled on age nine (its a long story why). But if Kalianna wants here ears pierced, I will take her for her ninth birthday. This is just my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own. Whats yours?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
Admittedly, I know a lot of people have strong feelings when to pierce a child’s ear. “Let them decide” is being replaced by parental decision when mommy intuition knows, “earlier is better” from either personal or friend’s experiences of unpleasant childhood ear piercing.
I think it just depends on your own personal choice whether or not you wish your baby or little girl to have pierced ears. Some feel perceived gender of their child is important while others find it a cultural tradition where all infant girls have pierced ears.
I pierced our oldest daughter’s ears when she was two months old and our youngest at just days old. We found an experienced individual where they specialized in infant piercing.
Our oldest daughter just turned two and has never had an infection, pulled them out, and she’s never even played with her earrings (which is amazing in my book).
My mom pierced my ears when I was 2 weeks old as and I’ve loved it….I think earrings on little girls are adorable! If you don’t know how she’d look at any age, then hold up a pair of your studs to each ear and decide for yourself. Many moms including myself like the look of earrings on babies and little girls for no specific reason, but like how light plays off a simple gold ball on a bald baby girl or small gold hoop poking through the hair of a toddler.
Cerebrally, as mothers of girls of all ages, we know it celebrates their femaleness and femininity. After all, they are little girls, right?
Growing up I remember many of my little girlfriends were not allowed to get their ears pierced. I could never understand it…but when their parents did finally let them, it always seemed they’d get infected because they were constantly touching them or trying to change out the earrings before they were supposed to. Many said it was painful, but all cried having a great deal of angst leading up to and including the actual ear piercing. To each their own but I think the earlier the easier.
If we have another girl, I will pierce her ears early as well. I asked our pediatrician and she encouraged me to go ahead before she aware of her surrounding or developed a pincer grip to play with her ears. She gave me some suggestions for moms having their daughter’s ears pierced. They seem to apply to all ages.
If you decide to do it as a newborn or infant, then I promise she’ll thank you later!
Amy
amyswor@hotmail.com
I COMPLETELY agree with you stacy. I think it should be their decision and done when they can take care of them by themselves.
That being said I don't care if others to it but it just isn't for me.
Nine, huh? That's a random number. My parents picked seven. Also super random. :)
Personally I think little baby girls with earrings are SOOOOO adorable. And I definitely see the advantage of getting it done and past the infection stage before they will play with them (I had tons of infections cuz I always played with mine. OUCH.)
That said, we haven't done Seara's. In fact, I just may blog about this, too. Just because it's interesting. You inspire me. :)
Hi Stacy, I totally agree with you, every bit. My mom got mine done when I was 3 mths old. I always hated them. The holes still wont close up. I didn't even wear earings on my wedding day. I hate how they feel. I'm totally going to wait for my girls to choose on their own. I actually think too that I'll lean more toward never getting them peirced....unless they really really want them.
I also want to put my to bits in that I love big bows, painting nails, pink pink pink, all of the girls stuff. Why do we have to poke a hole threw our ears to be pretty or to have decoration? There are plenty of other ways...with no risk of infection, or pain ect...
I love the comments so far! I have to say, I do think baby girls look really cute with little earrings (especially when they don't have much hair like my little sweetie) But I also can't bring myself to do that to her. Watching her get shots is hard enough!
I have an appointment to get Hadlies done on wednesday!!! HEE HEE I guess you know how I feel!!!
I know I'm not a mom yet, but the thought of watching her cry would make me so sad. I had my ears pierced twice! The first time was when I turned 8. I played with them then completely ignored them to the point of surgical infection! When I had them redone I was 13 and it was my choice and even my earned money. I took better care of them and was more proud of them because it was my choice and my money and my mom let it be my decision...I felt really adult when I was walking around with my teenie little diamond studs. I'm all about choice, Stacy!
I think little baby with their ears pierced are so cute, but my brother pierced his oldest daughter's ears when she was about 3 months old. And the earrings would get caught on the car seat. They even pulled through a couple of times. Not a fun thing to put a baby through.
My brother's next daughter just got her ears pierced...she's 12. They decided not to put anymore of their girls through that.
As for my girls, if I have any, I don't know when or if I'll get their ears pierced. You see, I don't have my ears pierced.
I'm all about letting the child decide and therefore they need to be old enough to take care of them.... However, there are cases when it's preferable...Such as if the older sister who already has pierced ears tries to put earrings in baby sisters ears. True story.
I got mine pierced when I was potty-trained as my reward. I LOVED it, but I also understood, and wanted them done. I couldn't wait to get "pretties," and I have good memories of the day I got them done.
Though I think baby's ears look darling pierced, I think I'll wait until Macie is a little older too.
Post a Comment