Monday, March 15, 2010

I don't get it

I've noticed an increasing number of people lately are choosing to wait until their child is born to find out the sex. Why is that? What's the draw here? I've heard some people say they like surprises, well so do I! But I like being surprised at 20 weeks when I go in for my ultrasound and they say either "its a boy" or "its a girl". I think I would go crazy knowing the technician knows what I'm having before I do. I guess it has just never appealed to me at all, so I don't understand the people who choose to be in the dark. In my mind, if the technology is there, why wouldn't I use it? It's just funny to me that so many people are choosing to go back in time and not find out like their parents or grandparents. Though when their parents were having kids, the option to find out the gender wasn't available. So for those of you that have gone with the surprise option, why did you choose to do it that way? What appealed to you about not knowing? I'm really curious why it seems to be "the thing to do" now

6 comments:

Colleen said...

I found out at 20 weeks. I completely agree with you! The only reason why I would ever wait, is if I had a boy and a girl already, so I had everything for both. Maybe... I still think I'd find out! :)

Jenny Sue said...

Oh I totally agree! and it's of course still a surprise, just sooner. but my big reason for Finding Out the gender is because I like to feel as prepared as possible. This will be interesting to see what everyone says.

Ashlee said...

We're thinking about not finding out. The main reason for me is I honestly don't care. No matter what we're having, we have enough to get us by for the first month at least, and the sleeping arrangements wouldn't change. Besides, it didn't help us be able to choose a name when we found out, we still didn't know until we saw her at the hospital. I didn't know it was the new thing to not find out, we just honestly don't care either way.

Jenny Sue said...

Oh I forgot to add, with our third, sense we have one of each, we still want to fine out. Having Ryan know that he is having a sister and we can talk about it and point out other little sisters has made a huge difference for him in being ready and knowing what's coming. I'll want that for him and Eryn next time too.

Mel McDonald said...

I agree with how it's just as much of a surprise at 20 weeks.

That being said, my sister waited until her second was born to find out that it was a girl, and as the one not pregnant (cause I didn't have to worry bout being prepared) I really enjoyed getting that "The baby is here!" phone call so much more because it wasn't just weight and size I wanted to know about.

And I know for her it was the excitement of calling people and saying "It's a GIRL" rather than just, "she's here." It kept us all on the edge of our seats:)

It's like waiting to find out what you got for Christmas vs. waiting to find out the score of a game. That was just how I felt as the sister.

I think if I have a girl next our third we will wait to find out (if I can convince Nate), but I don't feel like I can do it with out being prepared for both first:)

Singhappy2 said...

Are you ...??? =) Well YAY for you!!!!