That was about the time I was still pursuing my novel, but not working on it as much as I would have liked. So I taped this fortune to my computer, and there it has rested ever since. I look at it every day as I finished my book, and now as I continue to edit, edit, edit. Someday I will be a published author. Not so I can become rich and famous, or so people will know my name. But because it is my dream! I want to see my ideas in print. I want to hold a book I imagined in my hands, and see others gain joy from reading my words. As I continue down this bumpy road, (it is HARD to get published!) I have been absorbing as much information as I can. Trying to make myself a better writer, as well as learn techniques for getting agents to notice you. Because one thing I have learned from my journey is you need an agent. In today's publication world, it's almost impossible to find a publisher to even look at your work, unless it was given to them by an agent. That is, unless I want to write for a specific publisher, like Deseret Book or Covenant. Unfortunately, my book is not strictly LDS fiction, so I want it to reach a broader audience. Hey, if you're gonna dream, dream big right? So I have this Writer's Market book back from when I was trying to get a children's book published (it is even HARDER to get a children's book published!) And I found some agents through that, but the book is from 2006. So Saturday I decided to go to the bookstore and purchase this:
It has tons of tips and advice for writers before, during, and after submitting their work. Plus it has a list of hundreds of agencies who are accepting new clients, as well as their specific guidelines for sending in your query letter or manuscript. I have to admit, reading all the articles became a little discouraging. But I will prevail! One of the tips I learned is you need to get your name out there, if you want to be a successful writer. So it suggested starting a blog (woo-hoo! I'm doing one thing right!) and also be on facebook (yes! another gold star for me!) Because JK Rowlings and Stephenie Meyers are few and far between. Rarely does a new author's name spread like wildfire. Most agents are looking for people who are already marketing themselves, because who is going to buy a book from a new author they've never heard of? So I come to you and ask (maybe even beg a little) that if you enjoy my blog and my writing, then please tell your friends. Because apparently what I am lacking is more fans.


1 comment:
I would love to be a member of your "My Writing" blog! Bravo for finishing your book!
Post a Comment