Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Anything you can do...


Have you ever dealt with people like this before? That no matter what you say, they try to one-up you? I can't tell you how often I've encountered conversations like this:

Person: "Hey, how are you?"
Me: "Oh pretty good, I've been kind of sick though."
Person: "Well, I was so sick yesterday MY temperature was 106!"

Person: "You look sad, is everything okay?"
Me: "Yeah, just a rough weekend. We got in a car accident."
Person: "Well you should have had MY weekend! First, we got caught in traffic and missed the concert we paid $50 to go to, then my kid got sick and threw up everywhere, then our dog died."

Person: "Why'd you cancel your trip to Disneyland?"
Me: "My surgery cost a lot of money and we're still paying for some of the medical bills. So we can't justify going on a trip right now."
Person: "Well at least you don't have a husband like mine! WE spend a lot more than YOU do on medical stuff!"

Okay, so I exaggerated a bit on the person's responses. But seriously! Why do people feel the need to prove that their life is worse than yours, their trials are harder, and their heartbreaks are more intense? I am particularly referring to my last example. Somebody, who will remain nameless and I know they don't read this blog so I'm not worried about it, actually said this to me not too long ago. All I could think was: "How do you have any clue how much it has cost us?!" And "I never claimed my bills were worse than yours! I was simply answering a question that you asked me!" I'm sorry to vent but it drives me crazy when people make claims that their trials are worse than my own. We all have completely different lives and situations! What seems really hard for one person might be a breeze for someone else. But you have no idea how hard it is for them because you are not living in their shoes.

This conversation with the unnamed person actually occurred awhile back, but it came to mind again today. Our appeal with the insurance company didn't go through =( so long story short, I was asked by HR to create a spreadsheet with all the bills from my surgery and figure out how much out of pocket we have spent. As in, how much money Matt and I have directly spent ourselves on my medical bills since this whole thing started back in April. The amount shocked even us! Matt almost passed out when I told him the numbers! All I can say is we have spent (and still owe) enough money to pay for Matt to go to school for 4 semesters!! Now I feel like singing to this person:

YES I CAN! YES I CAN! YES I CAN!

5 comments:

janae said...

She really said that to you?? So strange. People can inadvertently be so offensive. (Myself included.) The other day I got a comment on one of me Elijah-vent posts (after my ring was destroyed by the garbage disposal, mind you) that pretty much said "your three kids are easier than my one". I was so taken aback. Absolutely flabbergasted. I mean, her kid really is tough, and has a lot of health problems, but even if that is true (which I still have a hard time believing), you NEVER say it to someone!! Absolutely shocking.

Sorry about your medical bills. :( They really do add up so quickly. And then as soon as you think you've paid them all, you get another one for $955. Not that that happened to me recently, or anything. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Kristine said...

Boo :( I'm sorry your appeal didn't go through. I'll keep you guys in my prayers. Is there anything else we can help you with?

Matt said...

Okay, I really didn't mean to get pity from people! I was trying to be funny, but apparently my humor didn't show through the venting!

Kimmy said...

I so know what you mean!! It's like the person who tries to cheer you up with a story of how bad they're life is. How lame are they?! "I broke my toe this morning".

"Well, if it makes you feel any better, I sprained my ankle yesterday and then my boyfriend broke up with me..."

"Thanks. My toe doesn't hurt anymore." Ahh!!!

It's always about them.

I am sorry about your medical crap. Those bills are the worst. My heart really does go out to you. Keep your chin up and fight like a raging tiger. You've got it in you. ROAR!!

Love ya.

scrapsidaisy said...

People like that drive me bonkers!
Sorry about the medical bills...sometimes being a grown up stinks huh??