Friday, January 23, 2009

Jeff-fa-fa DunHAM .com

Last night was the Jeff Dunham performance at Energy Solutions Arena that I blogged about awhile back. Merry Christmas to us! The show was AWESOME!! The evening started out by meeting up with our friends at Squatters downtown for a yummy dinner. I heart sweet potato fries!

On our way to the Trax station, we passed by this parking sign and Suzy posed next to it. It was just too good to pass up the photo op. You have to know Suzy.


We made it the the Energy Solutions Arena and found our seats, which ended up being great seats! We weren't on the floor, but we were in the next section, only 11 rows up, right in the center. We could see Jeff and the puppets clearly on stage without needing binoculars or anything.

Here we are waiting for the show to start. Matt and I were sitting in the middle, so he got a picture of me, Greg, and Steve. Then I took a picture of him, Breezy, Braiden, and Suzy. Then, of course, the classic shot at arms length of the two of us.


The show opened with Brian Haner (aka Guitar Guy, if you've seen the DVD's). I had no idea Guitar Guy was so hilarious!! He was hysterical! He said they don't let him talk on the DVD's, but they definitely should! We were all laughing really hard as he told his life story through songs. The guy not only is incredible on the guitar, but he can really sing too. After he finished, there was an intermission before Jeff came out.

Then the main event! Jeff Dunham was even funnier in person then he is on the shows! We were afraid that he was only going to do jokes we'd heard before, but this was definitely not the case! He opened with a hysterical true story about traveling on a private jet, landing at an unknown airport to avoid fog, being surrounded by 50 marines with guns pointed at their heads, then being saved by Achmed the dead terrorist. (The marines recognized him from youtube). He then brought out Walter and did an entire bit on Utah. We were impressed that he researched Utah before coming and made up all new jokes to go along with the area. He made fun of everything from being in Utah in January, to Tooele, to the little orange flags we use to cross the streets downtown (who came up with that idea?) A few of his jokes were ones we had heard before, but he improvved a lot as well as told some all-new jokes. Achmed came out next and did an entirely new bit on infomercials that had us about rolling in the isles. Jeff said "I don't know where that came from, but it might be on the next DVD". Guitar Guy came out again and Achmed sang a brand new song, "The blew myself up blues". Peanut came out next and didn't disappoint. He did a few jokes that are on the new Christmas DVD, but then he got out of control and we were all laughing hysterically. I'm impressed with how much Jeff can improv onstage! Its clear he is having a lot of fun! Matt said his mouth and cheeks haven't hurt so much since our wedding day, when we spent the entire day smiling for pictures. Jose Jalapeno came out for a brief visit, but he's not really my favorite. At the end of the show, we cheered so much that Jeff brought out Bubba J for an encore. I'm not really a big Bubba J fan, but what happened next was so funny! Jeff said Bubba wasn't normally in his show onstage, but he'd received many e-mails recently asking him to put him in the show. Since he hadn't worked with Bubba J in awhile he apologized but pulled out a piece of paper to remind himself of Bubba's jokes. They were all jokes from the DVD, that the audience knew well. The audience was saying Bubba's punchlines right along with him, so it sounded like Bubba in surround sound. Jeff stopped, he was laughing so hard. Then Bubba said "It's pretty bad when the entire audience knows your material better than you do!" Jeff commented on how that had never happened before and it all doesn't sound as funny now that I'm writing it out, but it was really funny to be there!

As we were leaving, I was amazed at how many little kids there were there! Jeff Dunham is Not a kids show! Matt jokingly said "What do you mean? They're puppets, so its like Sesame Street, right?" I said "Yeah, its like Sesame Street on acid!" Anyway, the show was awesome and we had a wonderful time! We got home after 11:00 and crashed, but it was all worth it!

Here's pictures of him with each of the puppets. I know they are dark, but I made them so big so you can hopefully see them anyway:

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Wow that was a long post! It took me a couple of days to get through it! But is sounds like an awesome night!! I guess I need to watch more Jeff Dunham, because I didn't know any of the puppets...have anything we can borrow for an evening of laughter?