Monday, August 31, 2009

The Little Mermaid Debate

Matt does not like Disney's "The Little Mermaid" for the following 4 reasons:
1. She is scantily clad through most of the movie
2. She disobeys her father
3. She practices witchcraft
4. And then she gets everything she wants

I love "The Little Mermaid"! I think the music is fantastic, the story is fun and everyone lives happily ever after. I keep trying to explain to Matt that little girls don't see the movie the way he sees it. They just think its a fun, happy movie.

The other day I turned on "The Little Mermaid" cause I hadn't seen it in a long time. Kalianna really liked the bright colors as the fish swam around on screen. I sent a text picture to Matt at work of her playing with the movie box. He was horrified. I still love "The Little Mermaid". Matt still doesn't.

2 comments:

Kristine said...

To be honest, I did like it as a kid. The songs, the colors. But now that I have two little boys - one who is starting to notice certain differences between girls and boys - I don't like it so much.

Jenny Sue said...

I had never thought of it that way...but oh my heck ya! Matt has a very good point. Honestly, my own parenting freakishness....umm...I love the music too....but I don't think we'll be watching the little mermaid. Sorry Stacy. He is so wright. I do love the music. Come to think of it, I used to always sing "Look at this stuff...isn't it neat..." But now that we are talking about it, I just realized that I don't anymore. I'll start singing it but stop because of the message it sends. Tell Matt he has converted me. I have always noticed how immodest the princesses always are. Humm....