Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sveta

One of Matt's friends from his mission, Sveta, is in town for a while. Yesterday we had the opportunity to go to lunch with her and visit. Sveta just returned from serving a mission in Russia, so she had some fun stories to tell. It was awesome for Matt to get to use his Latvian for the day, which doesn't happen often. After lunch Sveta wanted to go to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple open house. We didn't have tickets or anything, but my uncle Trevor hooked us up with an invitation that allowed us to get in. It was the last day of the open house, so it was pretty busy. Sveta just amazes me! We were running pretty late and she had to meet a friend in Salt Lake at 4:00pm. But we didn't get to the super crowded open house until about 3:00. The line was moving amazingly fast though and we were able to get through most of it before having to cut out of line and leave. Sveta commented on how the Lord was blessing us so we could see the temple. It made Matt and I realize how often the Lord blesses us and helps us with the small day-to-day things and we don't even realize it! On our way to Salt Lake we got in a conversation about how much we take our temples for granted. In Latvija, the nearest temple is in Sweden. So the members can only go about once a year and when they do go, they go about 20 times in a week. But here we think we're doing good if we go once a month, or 12 times in a year. I'm always amazed when we get to visit with someone from Matt's mission. The members there are so strong!

2 comments:

scrapsidaisy said...

I'm so glad that you were able to get in! Bummed that I didn't get to see you guys while you were here.

Jenny Sue said...

Amen! I totally know what your saying and agree! I yearn for saints that are strong like that. We had that in Holiday. But I am starving out here where we are now. We are in the new temple district and I can't wait for it to be open! It is so close. I love taking Jesse to work on Tuesdays. Ryan and I stop and play at that little playground just east and south of the temple. I love seeing my baby play in the shadow of the temple.