Matt is one of those people who can not stand listening to Christmas music until the day after Thanksgiving. He believes each Holiday deserves to be celebrated before moving on to the next one. Sometimes I get in a Christmas music mood a little early, but for the most part, I agree with him. Last week I wanted to buy some Thanksgiving decorations, specifically something to hang on my door. But when I entered the store, I was bombarded with Christmas decorations and Christmas music was blaring over the speakers. One tiny aisle end was devoted to Thanksgiving. It was pitiful! Then last night, we ran to the grocery store for a couple items and they had a huge Christmas sale going on. A lady was singing Christmas carols live by the front desk. They had Christmas free samples throughout the store. Each check stand was labeled with a different reindeer name. And all the employees were wearing red and green. Now I love Christmas, but last night was the last straw! Its getting ridiculous how each year Christmas comes earlier and earlier and Thanksgiving gets shoved into the background of November. Matt made a really good point as we were discussing this situation. Stores make more money on Christmas than any other time of year so, of course, they want to promote it as soon as possible. But in promoting Christmas and shoving poor Thanksgiving aside, they are teaching us to forget being Grateful for stuff and focus on Getting stuff! As Matt and I have taught primary over the last few years, every holiday season he made sure to ask the kids what they were giving for Christmas instead of asking them what they wanted. So even though Thanksgiving has not always been my favorite holiday, I am determined this year to focus on the many things I am grateful for and give Thanksgiving its due. I have all of December to focus on Christmas. It doesn't need anymore attention than that. After all, Christmas is spoiled enough as it is. Lets let shy Thanksgiving have a turn in the spotlight for once.
1 month ago


4 comments:
Ahhh, I love this post! Thanksgiving is actually my favorite holiday :) I totally agree with all of yours and Matt's thoughts. I can't believe that store had reindeer names for each isle. That would be cute in DECEMBER! Not mid November.
One thing made me laugh though. I use to never listen to Christmas music til December, but Josh loves Christmas songs. He will actually request we listen to them randomly throughout the year. Its pretty funny so I turn on his kids CD.
Ever since Halloween ended and I put away all the decorations, Josh has been begging to put up the Christmas tree. He is so excited this year! Which is fun, but I don't want to push Thanksgiving aside. I like your idea of asking your church kids what they are giving and thankful for. I'm going to try to distract him with those kinds of questions and hopefully teach him what is really important. He's 4, but maybe someday he'll get it ;)
Yes, the whole month of Nov seems to just be skipped over in favor of Dec and Christmas. The spirit of Christmas, love and giving should abound all year as should the spirit of Thanksgiving. So I am with you, Stacy. Give Thanks abundantly at Thanksgiving. Make it an important and fun tradition. A Holiday that your family can look foreward to each year. I was not very good at making traditions in our family, which I very much regret. Maybe counter Christmas music with a CD mix of hymns of thanksgiving. A game or story and treat leading up to Thanksgiving.
http://www.theheartofnewengland.com/food-Authentic-Thanksgiving.html is a site that describes authentic thanksgiving foods. And here is one about traditions and fun http://familyfun.go.com/thanksgiving/thanksgiving-traditions/. I'm sure I have gone overboard but I did such a poor job in the tradition department that I just want to see you do better. Love ya, nedra
I could not agree more! I love the family photo, totally adorable!
Amen! Did you know that Temple Square doesn't turn on the lights until the day after Thanksgiving. I really like that. And I love Matt's focus with the kids to ask what they are Giving. Instead of Getting. This is a great post. Thanks for the reminder.
Post a Comment