Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentine Adventures

I absolutely love Valentines Day! It is one of my favorite holidays! Even back when I was single and had no one to spend the day with, it was still one of my favorites. I just love the colors, the decorations, the candy, the flowers, everything!

This year for Valentines Day Matt and I decided it would be fun to go out for breakfast and then have a nice dinner at home later, to avoid the crowds. We then had plans to spend the day registering and then working on the nursery. Well Mr. Snow, my nemesis, had other plans in mind for our day of love. We woke up to several inches of snow Saturday morning and such terrible road conditions that we didn't dare go outside to breakfast. So we decided we'd make a nice breakfast at home, no biggie. We started straightening up the kitchen to prepare for said breakfast when a knock came on our door. Our new neighbor down the street, Elizabeth, who Matt had met once before, was in desperate need of some help. Her fiancee was just in a car accident and she needed a ride to where he and her daughter were. Without hesitation, Matt grabbed his coat and shoes and ran out the door. A phone call a few minutes later told me he wouldn't be back any time soon. Turns out Brian, her fiancee, was driving and saw a car stuck on the side of the road. A mother and her teenage daughter were trying to push their car out, so he pulled over to offer some assistance. When he got out to push, a Durango slid off the road and hit him, sending his 135 pound body thirty feet. He was rushed to Mackay-Dee hospital. When Matt and Elizabeth got to the scene and found out what had happened, it became clear Matt would need to drive her to the hospital up in Ogden. Elizabeth and Brian had just moved in and they don't have any family in Utah. And many of their friends from their church were out of town. So it was really nice that they happened to meet Matt just a few days before! I'm so grateful to have such a sweet husband who is so willing to help others in need!!

Well, Matt spent most of the day at the hospital making sure everything was okay. Brian is fine. Not a single broken bone or anything! He walked out of the hospital with a few bruised ribs and a sore back, but that was it. When Brian was taken to the hospital, his car was towed (nice, huh?) So Matt drove him and Elizabeth's daughter back home, while someone else gave Elizabeth a ride to get their car.
The mom and daughter Brian had stopped to help were at the hospital too, along with her husband. When they released Brian, the nurse said "looks like you have plenty of people to take care of you" and Brian said "Yeah, but I don't know any of them." It wasn't how I would have chosen to spend my Valentines, but what better way to spend the day of love than in the service of others? Matt got home around 4:00pm and was finally able to eat breakfast. Elizabeth stopped by not long after with a Valentines heart-shaped cake to say thank-you. By this time the snow had finally cleared up so Matt and I were still able to go up to Ogden and register at Babies R Us. We had lots of fun picking things out shopping together. I'm so glad for so many years of babysitting/nannying! Although there were some items we weren't sure about, years of experience helped me know what I wanted (especially when it came to the big stuff). On our way home, we picked up a movie and a pizza and spent the evening relaxing at home. All-in-all it turned out to be a pretty good Valentines Day.

4 comments:

Kristine said...

Wow crazy day! I'm glad you were able to help your neighbors. Even tho a wreck and being sent to the hospital isn't nice, he must have felt good having the help of strangers. I took a look at your registry the other night since I knew you had done it! How exciting :) So what movie did you get to watch that night? Sounds like a nice evening for a crazy day!

Ashlee said...

Wow that's a crazy adventure! Glad it all turned out well!

janae said...

You are a good sport! What a nice hubby you have. Those poor people - that it nuts. I'm glad everything turned out okay in the long run!

Aubrey said...

Wow! My sympathies to the guy who got hit! It hurts man! I'm glad he's ok!
Isn't it nice to know that you picked such a wonderful, slefless man to marry!? He's going to make a wonderful daddy!