You all know exactly what I'm talking about. You've probably been a victim to such questions as well as victimized another person at some point. Matt and I have been laughing over a few circumstances lately. Pregnancy seems to be a glowing beacon for silly questions. Some of our favorites are "So are you excited?" Honestly? How could we not be excited?! Matt has said that next time someone asks him this he wants to reply with "No actually, she told me she was still on birth control! I'm really pissed!" Just to see the reaction he gets. Another favorite is "So are you ready?" Really? Is it possible to be ready? I think Heather Harris Bergevin said it best,
"We eagerly anticipated, but also realistically understood the changes about to joyously attack our home. We were as prepared as we could get. But, ready? Never."That's a quote from "The Mother in Me", that book I told you all about last week. I think she words it so perfectly! Another classic one before finding out the sex of the baby is "So what do you want?" and now its turned into "So is that what you wanted?" Honestly people, what am I supposed to say? I wanted a baby and that's exactly what I'm getting! Matt's favorite response to this one is "No, I wanted a puppy." And of course "Have you thought of names?" Nope. Not at all. Are we supposed to name it? *Sigh* People make me laugh.
We work with a girl who is also pregnant and she just recently found out they're having a boy. Matt asked her "Are you excited?" Then almost immediately he said "I am so sorry! That was such a stupid question!" The three of us laughed over the situation, but it proves we can't help it! Even when Matt and I are bombarded with these questions day after day, we turn around and ask the same questions to someone else! I was very proud of him for catching himself, though. I guess its a start.


1 comment:
I have to say that on the gender thing, I felt the same way you did. Ryan is a boy. That is part of him. But he is just Ryan to me. I would love him just as much if he were a Sally. My sister in law has four boys. Everytime she found out the gender. She cryed. She wanted a girl. This is something I do not understand. Her boys are healthy and smart. That is always something I didn't like about her. I can understand leaning toward a sertin gender, but to cry over it. How sad.
Post a Comment