Thursday, March 19, 2009

Is there a gentleman in the house?

So yesterday at work we had a meeting in the largest conference room. Well, since the entire company doesn't fit in the room at once, they split us up into our units (75-100 people). I happen to belong to one of the largest units and when it was our turn to go to the meeting, I was talking to someone and got in there late. Meaning=there were no seats left. I stood in the doorway beside the back wall for about ten minutes before I started not feeling so good. Keep in mind my unit knows me well, they all know I'm pregnant, and many of them looked back and saw me standing there. Maybe I've just been spoiled because my husband is such a gentleman, but I was amazed that not one out of over fifty guys offered me their chair! Finally, when I had reached the point where I was debating plopping down on the floor or just going back to my desk, a sweet lady I work with gave up her seat for me. A LADY! Now tell me, where have all the gentlemen gone??

6 comments:

janae said...

Women ALWAYS give up their seat before the men. ALWAYS. I stood up on a train once for about 20 minutes with a baby in my arms and a toddler holding my hand. Finally a woman gave up her seat and I let the toddler sit down. (The kid was tired and the way the seats were I couldn't hold both kids on my lap.) Finally after another 20 minutes a man was guilted into giving up his seat for me. I was serious shocked at how many men just stared at me and didn't offer help. Manners are so sparse nowadays.

Errin Courtney said...

I tried to save you a sit but they stole them all. I'm sorry sorry sorry

Jenny Sue said...

Oh! I am so with you! I had something similar happen to me like that too when I was expecting Ryan. But in my situation it was this little graduation thing. I was first there, waiting for the door's to open. When they did, of course people stormed by me. I'm not kidding you, I was bending my knees to sit down three times and a teenager sat down under me! I was about a month away from having Ryan. I was pissed! I didn't want to be there anyways, was about to leave when, just like with you, a woman got a chair for me and helped me find a place. It was unbelievable! I honestly think it's a sign of the times.

Aubrey said...

That happened to me once on the traxx train. This southern man standing next to me started ranting out loud about how the men here aren't really men if they'd let a lady stand! I wanted to hug him and tell him to kiss his momma for me for raising him right... Sometimes men are just jerks like that... Good thing we snagged good ones to marry who would never do that huh?

Theresa said...

I think the lack of real men is what Isaiah was talking about (Isaiah 4:1). Not the lack of the male species but the lack of men willing to be men.

Kristine said...

So crazy. I laugh and agree with what everyone is saying here. I think when you are pregnant, men don't ever understand how uncomfortable it can be to stand for a long period of time. They don't get that your body aches most of the time. Not that I'm excusing them, but the women know - that's probably why it was a woman who gave up her seat. I hope my man wasn't in the same meeting as you because he IS a gentleman and would feel real bad if he didn't notice you standing there.